• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Road Trips

Paths of Righteousness

Awesome

Road Trips

I wish to share my experiences and adventures on the road with allthose who wish to benefit from them. Though I haven't been an NRI,I could still team up with a 5 member American family, and drivethrough Western Europe on a 5000 kms long road trip lasting 45 days,experiencing the culture and savouring the cuisine. Armed withan international driving license issued by the local RTO and aSchengen visa, I landed in Frankfurt, rented an 8 seater VolkswagenCaravelle from Avis and drove it through 8 nations in Europe (7 daysin Germany – Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Cologne, RomantischeStraße, Rothenburg, Fussen, Munich; 5 days in Austria – Salzburg,Vienna; 18 days in Italy - Cortino d’Ampezo, Florence – stayed inthe hotel where the Mona Lisa had been hidden after it was stolenfrom the Louvre, Venice, Rome, Pisa, Lake Como – stayed in the samehotel where Queen Victoria had stayed during her honeymoon; 3 days inSwitzerland – Interlaaken, Murren; 7 days in France – LoireValley – stayed in a castle with a blue-eyed Duchess as ourhostess, Paris; 3 days in Belgium; 5 days in Holland – Amsterdam).This is just the beginning for more exciting things are in theoffing.
      My elaborate Indian road tripshave only begun: last year we drove through Karnataka, and this yearwe are comprehensively exploring the Pallava, Chola, and Nayaklegacies. Next year, our plan is to cruise the Konkan coastline.Therefore, I no longer wish to watch from the sidelines or remain amute spectator. There is much to give and take with your community.
      I love vehicles and take verygood care of them as time and again I have experienced how theyreturn the love and care we bestow upon them. No wonder the last timeI had a dent was 26 years ago, on a car we retained for 30 longyears. On lonely drives I talk to them and fondle them like a babythrough rough roads. All my associations are for the long-term andtherefore, I wish to be with gearheads.
      Last edited by WildWeasel; 28th Nov 2018 at 04:41. Reason: removed font

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by kima View Post
      5000 kms long road trip lasting 45 days
      That is my bucket list trip. Only sad part - my wife wouldn't rather prefer to fly

Armed withan international driving
      I was told Indian driving license doesn't need International counterpart.

All my associations are for the long-term andtherefore, I wish to be with gearheads.
      Welcome onboard and have a eventful stay here!

Paths of Righteousness

Awesome

I was told Indian driving license doesn't need International counterpart.

I had taken an international license to avoid problems on the road.

I trust in Bhai!

Awesome

Welcome to Gearheads Kima. I have edited your post and removed the font as it was illegible.

Paths of Righteousness

Awesome

It was my first posting and never thought copying and pasting from LibreOffice Writer would be so tricky. In fact, I didn't know how to edit it. Thank you very much for cleaning it up.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Welcome, Kima. You have pasted the dream of most gearheads Looking forward to you sharing your experiences...

ps : What do you do? Would love to know how you manage to get so many leaves
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Paths of Righteousness

Awesome

I teach in an aided college in Kerala and took leave without pay for so many days as I sensed the European road trip, so elaborately planned and well-executed, a once in a life time opportunity.

The greatest lesson learned while driving through Europe was how countries like France and Germany have learned to live without borders even after the carnage of two world wars while the politicians in the subcontinent continue to keep the wounds of partition sore. I also met people who commuted daily by car from their homes in Holland to work in Germany and return home by evening.

As we moved in and out of countries all over Europe, no one even bothered to stop us to check on our credentials. In contrast, before GST, trucks had to wait for 24 hours or more at check-posts before they could roll into Kerala from neighbouring TN. It shocked me beyond belief that our country had been cutup into so many fiefdoms even after independence and no one had done a thing for improving our lives for so long.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

I wish to be with gearheads.
      Welcome to Gearheads. Look forward to read your travelogues and driving experiences. enjoy your time here.

Thread Information